Friday, December 9, 2011

Guest Blogger Sloan Parker

Good morning and Happy Friday! Today I am privileged to have author Sloan Parker as my guest. She's going to answer a few questions (Yes, those questions!), and tell you a little about her newest release. Sounds awesome, I have to say! She and I are going to hunker down on the beach, with our daiquris. Sloan, go ahead and answer the questions, while I wave over the cabana boy!






The Questions 
1)      You’re marooned on a small island with one person and one item of your choice—who is that person and what item do you have?

My partner and let’s see…this is hard. I’m going to assume I can have a solar-powered battery for my laptop. Is that cheating? Even without the Internet, I could write for hours, read all the e-books I have saved on my hard drive. Heck, I could even play solitaire. That way I get all my fave things: reading, writing, and spending time with my sweetie. I’m never bored when I’m with her.

2)      Which musical would you say best exemplifies your life – and which character in that musical are you?

Sandy from Grease. I’ve never been a big fan of the end, but if I think about it like she was finally finding her true self, then I can definitely relate. Part of that is about my coming out and part of that is about my life as a writer.

3)      Take these three words and give me a 100 word or less scenario using them:  concert, documented, broadcast

Boy this is a tough one. Here goes…could be the setup for a new story…

My friend Harry used to work as a producer for broadcast TV, but he told me when he finally accepted he was in love with his best friend, he gave up the career he’d always hated, moved to New York, and started a band. See, I’m a guitarist, and I think Harry would do anything for me. He’s even landed us some sweet concert gigs, and he’s documented our journey as a rising band for our website. I watched the footage last night. There’s a lot of me in it. Maybe he really does love me this time around.

4)      You’ve just been let loose in the world of fiction, with permission to do anyone you want. Who do you fuck first and why?

I know it’s probably not all that original since he’s from one of my own stories, and I know he’s gay, but I’d have to go with Richard from MORE. That man just knows how to give someone what they need like he’s reading their mind. I’d love to be on the receiving end of that much care, attention, and determination.

5)      What is your idea of how to spend romantic time with your significant other?

The best nights we have together we enjoy a quiet dinner alone at home followed by music, dancing, and laughing. Just being together and taking time to remember what we love about each other.

6)      When you start a new story, do you begin with a character, or a plot?

I’ve started some stories with the characters in mind and others with a general idea for the plot. In either case, when I outline the plot, I fill out character sketch sheets so the characters help determine how the plot unfolds and how each man will act and react to the various situations.

7)      If they were to make the story of your life into a movie, who should play you?

Oh man. I have no idea. Can I just pick someone I find exceptionally sexy and cool? Like Julianne Moore. Love her!

8)      Who’s your favorite horror villain and why?

In terms of a villain who stayed with me for years, I’d have to go with the shark in Jaws. From the time I was a young child those movies freaked me out and were with me every time I went swimming, and even when I went to bed at night since my brother told me sharks lived under my bed.

In fiction, I’d say Annie Wilkes in Misery. Maybe it’s because I’m a writer, but she was just plain creepy and beyond reason.

9)      Do you have an historical crush and if so, who is it?

This one’s another fictional character, but the first man who came to mind with this question was Atticus Finch. Hands down he’s the sexiest hero. And when portrayed by Gregory Peck, my crush on that man is out of control.

10)   Is there a story that you’d like to tell but you think the world isn’t ready to receive it?

Not sure I’ve ever thought up an idea so out there the world isn’t ready for it. The closest I’ve come to something like that was BREATHE. Everyone kept telling me I couldn’t take a man who’d killed a woman and put him together with that woman’s widower and still make it a romantic story. The premise and the drama in that story may not work for everyone, but the positive feedback I’ve gotten has been amazing.

Thanks for having me on the blog, Julie. Those questions were a ton of fun!

Blurb from Take Me Home, coming Dec 13, 2011  

Aspiring television writer Evan Walker has been in love with his best friend since high school, but Kyle doesn’t do boyfriends. Never has. Never will. Evan knows it’s a bad idea to give in to desire when he wants more than a friend with benefits. He has a new dream job. Now all he needs is the dream partner.
Kyle Bennett is a mystery novelist with a severe case of writer’s block. He needs a change. He has three days on their cross-country train trip home for the holidays to figure out how to tell Evan he’s staying there for good. He also has to write the overdue pages for his editor. Only, he’s a little too distracted by the close quarters in their sleeper compartment—and Evan’s ass—to get much done.
The sparks that fly between them are hotter than ever. Good thing they have a real-life mystery to focus on: why people all around them, including Evan’s new boss, want to get their hands on a journal that once belonged to Kyle’s grandfather.
When a blizzard traps them in the mountains, Kyle and Evan steam up the train’s windows and must finally face their true desires.

Excerpt

Evan shivered. Which made no sense. He was still warm from the run, the sweat on his skin not even dry yet.
Kyle took another step. Evan wanted him to stop. He wanted to shout all the reasons why this had to stop, before it got started, wanted to tell Kyle not to move another inch.

He didn’t.

And Kyle didn’t stop coming at him until they were practically touching, Kyle staring down at him.

Evan tried to focus on Kyle’s words, on the news about the journal and his grandpa, but all he could think about was what he’d seen when he’d walked into the apartment: Kyle, all skin and taught muscles, wearing only his tight-as-sin white underwear, the briefs stretched over his cock, and the way Kyle had looked at him in the dim light of the hallway.

Just once. He’s leaving anyway. Evan closed his eyes and forced himself to concentrate on the conversation. He looked up at Kyle again. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah.” Kyle said the word with a slight curve of his lips. He took a step back and reclined against the wall, looking casual, like he was about to flirt with a bartender for a free drink. “After I read it, I was thinking about that night in the motel room in Iowa on our first drive out here.” He slowly swung his head in Evan’s direction. “Do you remember that night?”

Evan nodded.

“Do you ever think about it?” Kyle’s voice was barely a whisper.

Up until a few months ago, Evan hadn’t let himself, but since he’d moved in with Kyle… “Sometimes.”

“Like right now?”

“Yeah.”

Kyle slid along the wall, traveling the last remnants of space between them. “Ev, I’ve been waiting ten years to finish what we started.” He pushed off the wall and turned until they were face-to-face again, his dark eyes unflinching as he leaned in. He stopped before their lips touched. The heat of that mouth and body so close stoked the fire inside Evan.

His own body reacted, his cock pushing at his shorts. He wanted to shove Kyle against the wall and kiss him until morning, do everything he’d ever dreamed of when it came to touching Kyle, everything he ached to feel about the man.

The smile Kyle gave him next wasn’t the usual cocky one he’d used with countless guys over the years. He pressed forward and slid his lips along Evan’s skin from the base of his neck to his earlobe, leaving a trail of goose bumps in his wake. He lingered over Evan’s ear and whispered, “You smell so damn good. I want to fuck you, Ev.”

Evan shivered again. “We shouldn’t…” He couldn’t say more. Didn’t want to. The time for talking was over. Kyle ran the tip of his tongue along the outside of Evan’s ear, and Evan instinctively moved closer. His breath hitched with the touch of Kyle’s bare abs against him. Why had he worn a T-shirt to go running?

Using only the weight of his body, Kyle turned them until Evan’s back was against the hall wall, then flattened his palms to the wall on either side of Evan’s head. He licked his lips and spread his legs until their bodies lined up groin to groin, then rolled his hips, putting pressure against Evan’s cock. “God, Ev…”

With that movement, those two words, Evan groaned and let his head fall back to the wall. He couldn’t stop himself. He rocked his hips in time with Kyle’s. The feel of Kyle’s body, his hard cock against him, drove his own arousal higher.

Kyle spoke again, his voice even lower. “It could be so fucking good.”

Evan lost track of the arguments he’d been telling himself since he’d left the apartment earlier. He raised his head, and their lips met, the softest brush of flesh until Kyle opened his mouth, seized Evan by the back of the head, and slid his tongue into the touch. The kiss deepened, and Evan thought he’d never be able to stop feeling Kyle’s mouth on his, their tongues pressed together.

Bio  

Sloan Parker, author of m/m erotic romances and romantic suspense, loves to explore the lives of people who are growing as individuals while falling in love. Her novel MORE is the 2011 EPIC eBook Award Winner for Mystery, Suspense, and/or Adventure Erotic Romance and winner of the 2010 Rainbow Award for Best Gay Contemporary Romance. Sloan enjoys writing in the fictional world because in fiction you can be anything, do anything...even fall in love for the first time over and over again. She lives in northern Ohio with her longtime partner and their three neurotic cats.


Other Links for Images, etc.


Thank you so much for joining us today, Sloan! Why don't we get another daiquiri? Maybe we can entice the  cabana boy to put on a show for us? Like with another cabana boy?  Can't hurt to ask!



Any questions for Sloan? Any comments?  She'd love to hear from you!





Until next time, take care!

♥ Julie

4 comments:

  1. Thanks again for having me, Julie. This was such a fun interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been having internet issues or I would have commented before now. I recently read More and I really enjoyed it. The characters had such a wonderful story arc. I look forward to reading more books by Sloan Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen! Just wanted to say thanks for the lovely comment about More. I have plans for two more books with Richard, Matthew, and Luke, and I'm really looking forward to getting back to their story. If you check out any of my other stories, I hope you also enjoy them. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info about the More series. I felt like the book really did have great closure but I wanted more. I really grew to like all three men and their dynamic. I'm going to bookmark your site so I can find out when the next volumes come out. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete