Friday, April 3, 2015

A man I love is in danger!

All right, maybe that's an exaggeration. And no, I'm not speaking of someone in my life who's dying or anything horrible like that. The man I'm speaking of is John Constantine, and I've grown very fond of him, but I understand there may be no second season. So from that standpoint, he is in danger of being cancelled.


How awful to have a show one loves in imminent peril of having the plug pulled. I have two such shows that I know of - Constantine and Forever. And I love them both.

For those who don't know, Constantine is based on the long-running DC comic Hellblazer, concerning the exploits of a slick exorcist by the name of John Constantine, who is a very complex character. There was a movie made starring Keanu Reeves and I liked the movie pretty well - until I started reading the comics and realized just how far offbase the filmmakers were. First, in casting Keanu Reeves in the first place. he's very un-John Constantine, and totally mis-cast.


The NBC version features Matt Ryan, who makes a most excellent Constantine. And I have no complaint with the writing, or with the storylines they've come up with. They're far more canon than the movie, especially with regard to Chas.

I hope someone decides to keep this wonderful show, but NBC has a history of pulling the plug on shows I like - such as Awake, Dracula, and Do No Harm. I hear a decision will come in April, so cross your fingers!

Also, I recommend the comic books. And if you like the premise, I'd like to recommend a series of books I've been reading about another exorcist, Felix Castor. They're written by Mike Carey, the genius behind Lucifer, the graphic novels. I've read the first three and hope to be able to read the last two. Felix has vague similarities to John, but don't be fooled by that. Carey has created some rather memorable characters in this series, and his wit and intelligence are off the charts.

Now, my second show, Forever.


I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this show before, about an immortal medical examiner. This week's episode was awesome, having to do with a mummified body found at a rock concert in a building about to be torn down. Along the way, we learned more about Henry's past. I can't say enough good things about this show. Whenever it comes out on DVD, I'll get it. And I'll be devastated if it is cancelled.

What else am I watching? Well, Once Upon a Time is back, and this season features three villaineses - Ursula, Maleficent, and Cruella, who have aligned themselves with Mr. Gold ****POSSIBLE SPOILERS*** who was cast out of Storybrook by a fed-up Belle. This season focuses on them, and on Regina's search for the mysterious author of Henry's book, so she can achieve her own happy ending.

My favorite character in the show is still Mr. Gold. I won't even lie - the man has issues. He's not exactly trustworthy, and he can kill without thinking twice about it. And yet there is something very irresistible about him. Maybe it's that bad boy vibe he gives off so well? Just ask Belle, I'm sure she understands.








This season is off to a good start and I'm enjoying it.

Cutthroat Kitchen is crazy and full of fun. You gotta love a no-holds-barred Alton Brown. The premise of the show is that four chefs compete against one another, in three rounds, and the name of the game is sabotage, which Alton is happy to oblige with his wicked auctions.  Fun, fun, and more fun.

Unlike Hell's Kitchen. We didn't watch the last season, as it came so quickly on the heels of the lackluster season before, but thought we'd give this one a whirl. After two episodes, Sarah and I asked each other - do we want to continue? And the answer was a resounding NO. Nothing new under this sun. Different chefs, same old problems, situations, screaming and dialogue. Heard it, over it. Still love Gordon Ramsey, but maybe he needs a new shtick? How about more Motel Hell? That was better.

Mr. Selfridge began its third season with a wonderful two hour premiere. *****SPOILERS
AHEAD***** Between the two seasons, Mrs. Selfridge passed on, but that was no surprise as we saw her receive her diagnosis last season. This season begins with Harry's daughter Rosalie's marriage to a Russian aviator named Sergei. I see a lot of fireworks coming out of this union. Sergei is tied to his mother, the Princess - read leach. That woman is all about getting what she can out of Harry, including taking a suite at an expensive hotel and charging it to him. Sergei is hot on developing his own airplane and building an aerodrome, and assumes Harry will foot the bill. Harry, though, decides to push for non-profit housing for returning soldiers, a plan which Rose at one time drew houses for. Sergei gets bent out of shape, but luckily for him, he is approached by another potential investor - none other than Lord Locksley! Boo, hiss!

Then there is Agnes, who split with Victor last season, and married Henri Leclair this season. Also this season, Harry's daughter Violette is coming into her own, and showing she is her father's daughter. There's a lot going on, and I'm looking forward to seeing it all!

Well, I have to stop there. I hope to write more tomorrow night about other shows, such as Dig and Vikings.

Have a great Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment